Monday, July 13, 2009

READ, READ, READ!

i am at a point right now where i am wrestling with the internet and reading. i am trying my best not to do too much internet time and devote more of myself to reading. i learned from experience and reading other writings that great writers read. when i was little, i was an avid reader! that's all i wanted to do. while my sisters and friends were outside, i wanted to sit in a little fort of pillows in the corner of me and my sisters bedroom and snuggle up with a stack of books. as adolescence and teenhood approached, i was sidetracked and interrupted by day-to-day routine and other hooplah. books began to dwindle from my fingertips and television had taken precedence. in other words, i cared less about reading with the excellence of television.

computers, nowadays, are more of my best friend. now, i am not saying that writing was far from me-because it never was-but reading definitely got lost somewhere.

i realize that if i am to have a fresh mind that is full of ideas and vitality, i must read. the physical book, magazine, or newspaper version is what i mean. i am always reading something online, but i would rather rest my eyes away from the radiating screen.

lately, i have been reading much. i am currently reading various books about self-publishing, copyediting, entrepreneurship, literary agencies, and novel writing. i am in the middle of SUGAR, by Bernice L. McFadden, and i have begun MAMMY: A CENTURY OF RACE, GENDER, AND SOUTHERN MEMORY. i am expanding my brain and exercising it so that it can stay productive.

i encourage you to feed your brain also. it will help you to develop thoughts so that you will thrive on the road to becoming an astounding writer!

"readers read. writers write. readers write. writers read."
-neelyterrell

No comments:

CONNECT WITH ME!