Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Nerve of Me to Save Money

I'm no financial guru. I don't come from a line of financially wealthy family members. I don't have a whole bunch of people that I can ask to borrow money. No one that I can think of to teach me how to save. And I don't have any retirement funds saved. I'm a clean slate. Most financial knowledge that I have has been acquired through books, television, or what I overheard someone else say. I'm literally on my own with financial knowledge.

I've gotten comfortable with that.

I love to read and learn. As an African American, Black, brown-skinned, or whatever-kind-of woman, I have learned that blaming others for my lack of knowledge will only set me back further. The nerve of me to reach 60 and be mad at someone else for not teaching me how to save money for retirement or how to begin investing!

After going through graduate school, I accepted the fact that if I wanted to get anything, I would have to go get it myself. Totally fine to me! It helps that I enjoy learning and education. If I didn't, I would be lazy and not make efforts to want to seek information.

But I reached a point to where I want to know where my money is going. I want to "save for the future." If I can save $1000, I can do anything. That's my thought process. I wanna see my future dollars build!
So, through a friend's recommendation, I downloaded the Mint app. I realize that most of my money goes to food! I wasn't shocked. I'm a foodie. And being a foodie is what is making me "broke-y."

Yesterday, I started a Roth IRA (retirement account) through Fidelity. After reading about roth's, I knew that that particular one was for me. There are traditional IRA's and rollover IRA's (look em up online). So...I set it up on the computer, which was super easy, and MADE myself debit $25 into my first-ever retirement account. The whole rest of my day was refreshing. Some people will laugh at my $25, but watch when my money builds to $250,000! I will be the one laughing last then...or first. However you look at it.

I praise Jesus for this enlightenment. He is making it all possible. I will be wealthy in my finances soon. I'm claiming that. But I will continue to be wealthy and rich in faith, love, and optimism.

No comments:

CONNECT WITH ME!